Monday, July 3, 2017

Cartoon Corner- Despicable Me 3

Yes yes, I know, I’ll go back and cover Minions eventually.



In a way I think I like this one the most so far.  Which doesn’t make much sense, and I can only assume it has to do with either seeing it in the theater or some particular aspect landing more definitively for me.  I think in part the movie finds a better balance for the ensemble, and having the characters off doing other stuff makes some sense given how much it loves the side characters to start with.  For the most part they manage to juggle that very well too, especially using the Minions subplot to imply time passage in the main plotline with Gru.  It’s not perfect, the Sing sequence is a smidge too long and the bit with them in the balloon is a bit intrusive, but mostly it actually helped give things natural breathing spots which can be a hard thing, especially in kids movies.

Bratt’s material is amazingly in tune with his actor.  Like, did Trey Parker have a hand in his own lines?  Is one of the writers an ex-pat from South Park?  Or are they just uncanny imitators?  I dunno, but it’s weird.  Honestly though, despite the first trailer showing the entire first scene of the movie more or less (come ON trailer people, do better) Bratt’s material was good.  While conceptually El Macho is just amazing I feel like Bratt’s the first villain in these films to really pop for me?  There’s always a certain patheticness to the Despicable Me universe (it’s a bit reminiscent of Venture Bros. come to think of it) and Bratt manages to own that while having it actually make him more threatening.

They revisit a lot of common themes with aging and Gru’s sense of inadequacy, which honestly they don’t do a huge amount with but the window dressing around it is pretty good at keeping you from being overwhelmed by any nagging sense of retread.  The biggest payoff though?

There’s something completely perfect about the ending of this, in the sense that I can think of no more fitting ending for the series than Gru and his twin locked in a series of good natured Super Spy vs Super Villain battles for years to come.

It’s really kinda a pity there’s no way in hell the series actually ends at 3.

I love everything to do with the unicorn subplot.  I’ll leave that one there.

Rating- 7/10.  Despicable Me has never really gotten amazing, but there’s definitely a comfortable level of amusement to be found pretty consistently.  Which I sometimes suspect is the difference between a franchise and a series.

No comments:

Post a Comment