Monday, March 20, 2017

Cartoon Corner- My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Season 2)

Originally posted at the DL September 2015

So this might be my favorite season?  Would not have called that.  Main contributing factors:



- The endcap episodes are probably the best ones, so there's the strongest tie between the good episodes and the relevant ones.
- A lot of the aesops trend towards "you can mean well and still fuck it up", which I can dig and works really well with the show.
- There's a bunch of random episodes about Equestia history which I am just a sucker for, sorry.
- All the CMC episodes are actually, uh, good.

And honestly... I guess I don't have much to say about the season as a whole.  It's very much a continuation of season 1 in terms of overall style and tone, except they've got everything working properly so there's no issue with half the season feeling incomplete or rough draft-y.

Weakest Episode- I actually discussed this one a bit while watching  and immediately was pointed towards two other contenders, both the Spike episodes.  And yeah I'd definitely call those the bottom three, but... both those episodes have moments I enjoy a lot even if a lot of stupid stuff gets in the way of it.  The Mysterious Mare Do Well is... more even than both of those, but on the whole everyone's just kinda an asshole in it.  Actually, come to think of it Ponyville has this total Marvel Universe vibe at points where the citizens only remember the absolute last thing a hero did and turn on them for no real reason because what've you done for me lately and shit.  But more than that the way the reveal is handled sits poorly with me; Yes, Rainbow needed to be knocked down a peg to focus on what's important, but frankly it comes across as "you all just wanted to rub her face in doing better than her" which... is out of character for everyone 'cept Applejack.  And even then Applejack has to be pretty into a competition to reach the point of jackassery, but it's there and I'm okay with her being a bit smug sometimes.  Rest of y'all know better.

Best Episode: A scene from the writers room for MLP:FiM Season 2
<MALarson> So y'know Star Trek: The Next Generation?
<McCarthy> Off course.
<MALarson> So I kinda wanted to do an episode where Q was the villain.
<McCarthy> Brilliant!  Quick, someone find a John de Lancie sound-alike!
<Secretary> Actually ma'am we have John de Lancie on the line...
<Faust> MWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
I lean towards the second episode as better, the Discordified Ponyville is pretty danged great and there's plenty of good lines (Rarity in particular stands out), although part 1 does have Discord splitting the fellowship.  Eh, either way.

Rating- Mmmm.  8/10?  Yeah probably.
Modify message

No comments:

Post a Comment