Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Cartoon Corner- My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Legend of Everfree

Originally posted at the DL November 2016

I feel utterly out of practice on this.  But hey.  Fuck it.  Music time!



The Legend of Everfree- I get what they're going for here, trying to have like a class sing-along feel but with production values.  But something about it doesn't have the right energy.  I think the singing style has a low-pitched feel to it, like it's very restrained.  I'm not sure what should have been different here but yeah.  Not quite right.

Flash is the least smooth "clearly supposed to be the cool kid on campus" kid I've ever seen.

The whole romance angle between Twilight and Timber is kinda weird to me.  Like, do 16 year olds own and run the camp or is he about 5 years older than her?  That feels really weird with the relative ages involved.

The Midnight in Me- Oh no I am the demons :(
I dunno, I'm sure they wanted to do another Twilight song because Twilight and all but... the random angsty song at this place in the movie feels off.  The surrounding material is mostly shenanigans, y'know?  The song itself being nothing special doesn't help.

Embrace the Magic- Hurray!  Sunset is taking charge.  Pretty average song all told but feels natural, and more Sunset has always been to the good in these movies.

Making Filthy Rich so overtly sinister is weird.  His counterpart is a pretty reasonable pony!  I mean, the plot works just fine if you play him off as more cool and distant rather than actively rooting for Gloriosa to fail.

We Will Stand for Everfree- The rhythm of the song reminds me of Poor Unfortunate Soul from The Little Mermaid.  Which isn't a bad thing to remind me of in your villain song to be sure sure.  Honestly this and Sunset's song are the only ones I find decent?  They aren't great, nothing on the big climax songs from movies 2 and 3, but the work and mostly justify their existence.

The Legend You Were Meant to Be- Totally a transplanted credits song.  That said it's pleasant enough, but being so arbitrary robs it of any weight.

So I'm not sure how to feel about this one.  A lot of it is fluff compared to Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games, in that it doesn't seem to really be building to anything, except then at the end it was totally building to stuff you guys.  Ending on a clear "The End... or is it?" is kinda weird considering it's at least a year to the next one (... assuming).  Well unless they plan to tie more closely with the main series I guess.  That'd be weird.  But I mean even the series doesn't end on cliffhangers, they usually cap with a clear big bad threat, then go "hey cool thing happened and the characters have all matured!" or whathaveyou.

The fact the put some actual time into romantic inclinations in the movie is interesting to me in the context of the franchise too.  Having Flash step back and go "wait, right, the one I like is probably not going to come here to hang out regularly" and move on feels like just trying to clean up a dangling thread which is proper.  But despite the kinda weirdness of Twilight's interaction with Timber, it's not something we've seen before.  The only other couples in the series are presented fully formed, and never with the main characters.  And while it's disappointing in some ways since the show not really doing much of that made it distinct, the fact they have this movie be 90% shenanigans then 10% clearly differentiating itself from the series is why I'm a bit torn about everything.  It's a risk, and an unexpected one, but not necessarily a bad one.  I really don't know.

Well I mean I have a grade here, but it's a very gutcheck loose affair.

Rating- 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment