Monday, June 19, 2017

Cartoon Corner- South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut





Mountain Town- It's been six weeks since Saddam Hussein was killed by a pack of wild boars and the world is still glad to be rid of him.
Y'know, in theory this is as much a parody of Renaissance era Disney as anything, and really the sell it much harder than Disney did at the time here.  This one in particular draws a lot from Belle in Beauty and the Beast, but they're actually a lot more blatant than it was; I mean there's a huge minor key shift when Sheila's verse kicks in.  Of course, being crude and obvious is sorta the point isn't it?

Uncle Fucka- As seen here.

Wendy's Song- Actually let's save this one.

It's Easy, MMmkay- we shouldn't say fuck no we shouldn't say fuck FUCK NO~
Y'know, the lyrics to this might be the most competent Mr. Mackey has ever been in-universe, at least up to that point in the series.  It's actually weirdly catchy, moreso than about anything else songwise in the movie I think.  Which really adds a lot of flow to the thing: oh sure, let's fake it, we still get to swear AND it's fun!

Hell Isn't Good- there's probably a joke here about Metallica being the soundtrack to hell, but I don't think I have the heart for it.  Although this highlights some issue trying to do the movie this way, a lot of the songs are just too short to really get a hold of.  Same deal with the Wendy song.  It's just a couple lines, and doesn't really go with any other songs to create a larger motif in the movie.  It exists because well, can't go that long without a song now can we.

Blame Canada- Oscar Nominated Original Song Blame Canada.
Honestly, I think this song may have left a bigger impact on the series than even it's aware of.  It could be the perpetual soundtrack for the adults of South Park for the entire series after this point.  You can really feel the crystallization of Matt and Trey's particular cynicism; the only real question is who do we blame.

Kyle's Mom's a Bitch- The most appropriate "ah fuck" in the movie.  Otherwise, well, this is kinda the moment they allowed themselves for pure fanservice, which makes sense considering I kinda got the impression hey didn't expect the show to keep going after the movie... so may as well reprise the one thing from the show they thought held up.  Which... haven't seen Season 1+2 in a while but I suspect that's totally true.

What Would Brian Boitano Do- I've always felt like there was something specific to Brian Boitano's heyday that made him the one they use here, but fuck if I know what it was.  Oh well.  Point is, defeat the evil robot king in the year 3010.

Up There- Weirdly late in the film for an I Want song eh.  Then again I suppose you couldn't really have Satan singing any earlier.  Probably the most gratuitous Disney jab, with the most obvious parallels between it and its inspiration.  Although come to think of it I think this song has the most effort into its animation sequence too, so in a way that kinda works.

La Resistance- Derp, that's what Gregory is, he's Le Mis!  Which explains why the whole thing turns into a competing medley with each character doing their signature songs.  Pity really, I kinda like the one they start with... although I guess that makes sense.  More broadly, more than the earlier stuff which is easily mistaken for just an animated show full of satire taking the piss of the biggest animated films of the day for their own film, this really hints at the later transition they take towards doing actual Broadway stuff.

I Can Change- ... I don't think have anything here.

"God?  He is the biggest bitch of them all".  This line has forever stayed in my brain.  I often have to resist quoting it in open company.

I'm Super- Sure am.  I wish I could remember if this is something from the show as well, but.... oops.  That said, pretty alright, and... sure, filler, but again that's exactly the point.

The Mole's Reprise- Alas, the best character... has died.

There's probably something to be said about Sheila staring unflinchingly at the carnage she's wrought.  I suppose it might just be setting up for Kyle's Moral Delivery (see also comments about Blame Canada and the crystallization of Trey and Matt's cynicism)?  Actually, those two things should be separated.
This is probably the most sincere moral South Park ever delivered.  No "Y'know, I learned something today", no happy medium finding, no pat ending after, just 'going out and fighting everyone isn't taking care of the children, taking care of your children is taking care of the children.'
but I think this touches on a deeper vein.  The main villain here is Sheila, and it's telling that probably the evilest moment in the movie really belongs to her; she watches the war happen around her and immediately says "This is what we wanted!"  I mean, much as Saddam is probably a more evil person, he's also a buffoon easily thwarted, while everything actually bad in the film is because Sheila accepts no responsibility whatsoever for anything she does.  Even when the other moms call her out.  Essentially, the source of all the worlds problems are... people trying to stifle free speech.  It's kinda weird really, a world where any regular evil is just people being dumb, and overall evil people are just kinda dumb.  So malevolent INTENT comes from anything against freedom, while the actual evil is harmless.
Libertarians get weird when they get going is what I'm getting at.

Cartman's superpowers, the most anime thing.  Odd thing, I remember the part where they obviously riff on Return of the Jedi (hard to miss), but the way Cartman powers up, and the way snow flies up when Saddam hits the ground?  So anime, I think specifically 80's style seinen, but could be off there.

Mountain Town (Reprise)- ... wait, is the the only time in the whole film Chef is on a song?  That is amazing restraint on their part.

This one feels a lot more like a straight retrospective than what I usually do, which... well, it's a comedy which often has trouble aging, so assessing it more in terms of how it affected the evolution of the show just felt more natural.  Or I'm in a weird political mood so the politics of it jumped out at me.  Both those seem likely.  Lacking in substance as some of the songs are though, I actually liked them quite a lot, and there's plenty of stuff that does hold up humor wise.  But some of the stuff that's bothered me about later seasons definitely seems to have roots here.

Rating- 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment