Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Cartoon Corner- My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Season 5)

Originally posted July 2016

Last season unexpectedly went full DBZ.  This season instead has cultists and full throttle time travel fuckery.  Handled well though; the emphasis is on how terrible of an idea it is.  Similarly while it's noteworthy for being unusual in the context of the show, it's not really a standout episode in other respects.



So that bit covers one recurring subplot this season, and... I can see where Starlight would work up the fandom some?  Although the season opener got some baffling hate which I just don't get, even if I can see not liking Starlight herself.  Her main four episodes don't quite gel for me I think, but eh, I'm not gonna be too harsh on the show for trying new stuff and not quite getting it down.

The other two plot threads feel like kinda an excuse for Continuity (TM), although I will admit outside that aspect the Map episodes are pretty standard.  Like, sure, Coco Pommel is the dorkiest of dorks and it's cute, but aside from it being kinda cool to see her again her episode is pretty standard.  Same with most Mane Six episodes this season actually, Map stuff or no.

So... yeah.

Best Episode- Crusaders of the Lost Mark.  Yeah, the CMC got their shit together in terms of focus episodes this season.  Considering both that even the non-CMC episodes paid no small attention to cutie marks and this episode being structurally identical to Magical Mystery Cure, it's surprising as hell this wasn't the actual season finale.  Also had way more music than the actual season finale, which is a bit odd.  Or I'm misremembering, that's also possible.  I think the main thing this episode has going over CMC episodes in previous seasons though?  It calls Diamond Tiara out on her bullshit!  And tries to do something about it!  Stock old school bully characters annoy me, but fixing them is always fun.  I'm weird.

That leaves about two episodes unaccounted for.  And I kinda hate to hate on them all things considered but... yeah.

Weakest Episode- Make New Friends But Keep Discord.  Discord was rather mean-spirited in both his focus episodes this season but... the other one has some better visual gags.  And Tree Hugger just doesn't tickle me.  More than that I'm kinda okay with Discord being a bit of an ass if he also has a point/can BS his way into pretending he does, and in that respect What About Discord resembles Three's A Crowd more than it does this one.  This one mostly has Discord pouting.
Although.  Mail pony floating helplessly in the void is kinda cute.

Well okay there is ONE episode left after all those ones but... I'm not entirely sure what to say about Fanservice-thon 2015.  It exists?  It's entertaining enough?  Making Derpy a main focus character is weird and I'm not sure what to make of her voice?  Oh!  Wait, there's two important points.
1. Needs more David Tenant.
2. Lyra's tearful questions about sitting on park benches is the greatest thing.  Except the next episode where she and Sweetie Drops get Catdog'd and have ecstatic hugs over it.

Rating- 7/10.  Pleasant, a one or two standouts, but lots of just okay as well.  But a bit more memorable than some of the other seasons in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment